Sony VX2100

The 'Promotions' forum is for the posting of promotional material relating to the British adult entertainment industry, as well as the seeking and commissioning of work by models and producers working in the British adult entertainment industry.
sean

Sony VX2100

Post by sean »

Does anyone here use a Sony VX2100?

As i do and i find it a very good DV cam. At present i film is 4:3 (square) and wondered if is worth filming in 16:9 (widescreen anamorphic) mode. It could cause me more problems than it's worth.

The one thing that is un clear is how many frame per second the VX2100 films at. I was under the impression it films at 29.? (NTSC). Although the editing software i use has an option to out put DVD standard Mpeg2 files in either PAL or NTSC. My question is, region 0 DVD's (normally XXX material) are they NTSC or PAL? i am guess they are NTSC and play on DVD players that play anything.
BillBXD

Re: Sony VX2100

Post by BillBXD »

Hi Sean
I used to have a VX2100E and I don't think you'll have too many glitches shooting in 16:9 mode. Remember it's not true 16:9 as it adjust's the image through a standard lense and you have to film accordingly but you shouldn't have too many glitches. I migrated to Canon and find the XL1S more suited to my style of shooting.
There is a simple way to understand NTSC and PAL. The US and the Pacific rim use NTSC and Europe as in UK uses PAL. As already said NTSC is 29.9 frames per second and PAL is 25 frames per second. Its best to stick with PAL even though most players or even TV's will adapt NTSC to play on our systems. Most people get fooled by thinking that because NTSC is 29.9 that its better than PAL but its not. You'll find now that DVD's come on both PAL & NTSC but if possible buy PAL.
Again as stated region 0 dvd's are region free meaning they will play anywhere

You'll find this link a help http://www.dvinfo.net/sony/index.php

Bill

sean

Post by sean »

(E stands for Europe)

I have read this else where on the web. I contacted Sony (about 5 months ago on this) and they said, there is only 1 VX2100, they are all the same. The E was simply added to models sold in Europe, although the VX2100 sold in England has no E on it. So the E really means nothing.

I have also read that the VX2100 cannot film in true PAL 25 fps (which sounds really odd i know).

The bottom line is, after editing using Sony Vegas, i have the option of rendering out without any quality loss to either PAL or NTST format. The foramt is still the standard DVD/Mepg2 standard though. So for the moment i was thinking of keeping back up's of AVI files (which are better than Mpeg2) just in case for the future, DivX will become the new standard, and i guess hanging on to the original DV tape would be a good move.

The quality of the VX2100 seems pretty good, although i guess it'll all be High Def soon.
sean

Post by sean »

Thanks for that web location.
sean

Post by sean »

http://www.truecolor.741.com/RENDERTEST/index.htm

I am guessing the Avi must be Avi DV, as between the Mpeg2 and the Avi, there is not much in it. Although the Avi is sharper

[both images were taken from the same section of DV footage].