Self testing.

The 'Promotions' forum is for the posting of promotional material relating to the British adult entertainment industry, as well as the seeking and commissioning of work by models and producers working in the British adult entertainment industry.
happychappy

Self testing.

Post by happychappy »

There is a machine being tested in the US which is a HIV self test machine.I am looking for opinions as to whether this might be useful for the adult industry in the future.
Obviously the law would have to change as it is currently illegal to perform such tests.But if the law is changed then maybe this is something the industry would consider.It is probably a few years away yet.Also if the test was carried out just before a shoot,it would be up to the minute but would it create a false sense of security for performers.I am sure Tequila would have an opinion on this.What are people's thoughts if something like this was available and it was tried and tested?
J Rotik

Re: Self testing.

Post by J Rotik »

hey happychappy

surly the whole point of the tests are that they are carried out at a registered place by a trained proffesional that has no interest weather its a posative or negative result..you get your little letter and off you toddle

if self testing came about would it not open avenues for people to put a quick buck over the health of the performers by lying? or is there going to be a set in stone way for every1 to tell what the real results were?

Personally I dont think it'll work
happychappy

Post by happychappy »

I agree it would be open to abuse.Apparently the indicator on the device would turn blue in the presence of anti bodies which react to the HIV strain,a similiar principal to a pregancy test.
I know we are talking about something that is way in the future as it is a potential minefield,probably more suitable for serious discussion on a medical forum but for established producers in the industry it may be of interest to them.
nachovx

Post by nachovx »

There's no law against carrying out an HIV test on yourself or acquaintances ... it would be a different matter if you tried to charge people for offering a 'medical' service. Self test kits have been available in Europe for a long time ... that's how the Chinese model in Amsterdam was found to be HIV+, in the producers office I believe. Anyone can import these kits.
Jacques

Post by Jacques »

Accuracy is one issue but in a 'home test' where does emotional support for the person come from in the case of a positive test?

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
happychappy

Post by happychappy »

Perhaps the larger companies in the UK might offer some support network with their established models and also educate new models re the test.Again it is the future but the adult industry is not slow in catching on to new ideas.I know I can't see it working in small productions which accounts for a lot of the UK market.
nachovx

Post by nachovx »

They are claimed to be 99.9% accurate, which is probably as good as you could get through a clinic - but it must be a bit devastating to see the thing show a positive result. But for people who are getting a test every month anyway, if the shock is going to come, it's got to come some time. For heterosexual people in the uk who don't share needles or seek out dubious practices, the chance of becoming HIV is negligible ... but someone is always going to be unlucky, but I think these unlucky people are just prone to it as their immune systems were never 100% in the first place - just like some smokers get lung cancer and some don't, some suffer from asbestosis and colleagues who worked along side have no effects.
seymourpussy

Post by seymourpussy »

I think these kits are the same that are used at private clinics anyway...certainly the ones I've been shown! how else can they get a quick turnaround in results (20mins)